The sacred within us instinctively resonates with the sanctity of food. Therefore, the growing, transporting, distribution, and consumption of food are sacred acts that deserve ritual and reverence from the moment the seed is planted in the earth to the moment we have washed and put away the plate on which our food was served.
. . . → Read More: The Sanctity Of Food: Conscious Eating As A Spiritual Practice, By Carolyn Baker
Contrary to popular imagery, it is not lawn watering, car washing, and long showers that are depleting aquifers and draining rivers. As Derrick Jensen points out, 90% of the freshwater in the U.S. is used by Industry, including industrial agriculture, with the remaining 10% being split evenly between municipal users (such as people in homes) and golf courses. Here in Eastern Oregon it’s a small constituency — the ranchers — sucking up most of the moisture, and whining about it to boot. There’s your real scam. . . . → Read More: Postcard From Eastern Oregon: When Planting Food Is Illegal, By Kollibri terre Sonnenblume
A study released last week by Stanford scientists, which claims organic foods are no more healthy than non-organic foods, was funded by corporate agriculture and biotechnology giants, according to a new report by the Cornucopia Institute. . . . → Read More: Big Agriculture Directly Funded Anti-Organics Stanford Study: Report
In today’s post by Charlotte Kellogg, she explores the public health threats caused by inner-city food deserts as well as the new and innovative approaches to solving this problem. In communities that lack access to healthy food choices and fresh produce, the job of a public health advocate is often to combat and treat the afflictions that accompany food deserts, namely obesity and diabetes. Here, Madison expands on Mark Bittman’s suggestions for promoting fresh food in inner-city food deserts, as reported in a Carolyn Baker post, arguing that simple changes and plans can make significant differences. . . . → Read More: Food Deserts And Public Health
With a gallon of gasoline in America now averaging almost $4.00, the topic of oil dependence is timely. Cheap oil and other fossil fuels have helped create the modern American economy, and to a lesser extent, the economies of other industrialized cultures around the world. Big industry totally depends on them. Naturally, this includes the food industry. . . . → Read More: The Industrial Food System Depends To Its Peril On Cheap Oil
There have been persistent rumors of shortages at some of the biggest suppliers of emergency food in the United States. Mountain House the largest supplier of freeze dried and dehydrated food in the United States is not accepting orders for the next couple of months. . . . → Read More: 20 Reasons You Need To Prepare And Store Food
A local food revolution is quietly unfolding in our midst right here in Boulder County. It’s a revolution aimed at rebuilding this region’s capacity to feed its own people, to ensure food security and food sovereignty for all. . . . → Read More: The Local Food Revolution, By Michael Brownlee
Like so many chirping miner’s canaries, about 400 people met last weekend in a Boulder church and hotel to talk about what might perhaps best be called “collapse preparedness.” The occasion was a conference called “Our Local Economy in Transition: Exploring Food Localization as Economic Development,” organized by Transition Colorado, the local arm of the “Transition Towns” movement. . . . → Read More: Boulder Prepares For Hard Times Ahead With “Food Localization,” By Bob Wells
Food could soon hold a greater value than gold to many people of the world with rising prices, civil unrest and food products such as corn being converted into fuel. Americans could come to understand what other countries such as Egypt already know.
Regardless what country you live in everyone could agree they . . . → Read More: Food Crisis Coming, By Christopher Wager
In other articles I have made the claim that because of our industrial food system, oil, food and population are inextricably linked. I have also claimed that a contraction in the world oil supply would cause a similar contraction in the world food supply, threatening the human population. This article fleshes out . . . → Read More: The Oil-Fired, Grain-Fed Global Food Crisis, By Paul Chefurka